Bayelsa State report.
MWAN Bayelsa excos for the 2019-2021 Biennium
President: Dr Ebimere Okpomu
President-Elect: Dr Gbanaibolou Oweifa
Secretary: Dr Mabel Emudiaga-Ohwerhi
Asst. Secretary: Dr Nma Binafeigha
Financial Secretary: Dr Florence Koroye
Treasurer: Dr Ebiere Disi
PRO: Dr Rume Ndokinta
Welfare: Dr Merit Aigbokhai
YDF Coordinator: Dr Ekeria Oyetola
IPP: Dr Veronica Dinyain
Activities done so far:
- 11th October, 2019, International day of the girl child. The state chapter visited some secondary schools to give health talks and create awareness on the girl child.
There was an awareness walk in collaboration with other NGOs.
- 27th – 29th October 2019, activities to mark breast cancer awareness day was done. These activities included radio talk, road walk and market sensitization.
- 25th Nov – 10th Dec 2019, the state chapter joined in Joint mega advocacy by NGOs, CBOs as the world marks 16 days of activism.
Theme: Orange the world, generation equality stands against rape.
Activities carried out include:
- Media advocacy
- Advocacy walk
- Visit to orphanage
- Advocacy visit to schools and churches
- Advocacy visit to the commissioner for education and women and children affairs.
- 2020 children’s day celebration (27th May)
The state chapter in collaboration with Dr Mena and friends (an NGO owned by one of us) visited the Cameroon camp in Yenagoa, where over 250 kids were fed. Dancing, laughter and bonding were the highlights of the day. There was a surprise birthday celebration for a 7yr old girl whose birthday was same day.
- WORLD MENSTRUAL HYGIENE DAY 2020 – 28th May
Theme: it’s time for action
(Periods don’t stop for pandemic neither will we).
Scheduled activities included;
- Radio talk at Rhythm 94.7FM by 3pm.
- Reach out to teenage girls at Cameroon camp where Health talk on menstrual hygiene, discussion with the girls to share their own experiences and distribution of sanitary pads and pants was done.
Other activities done:
29/5/2020, MMAN, FIDA, NAWOJ, all Bayelsa chapters, paid a courtesy visit on the Commandant NSCDC Bayelsa state,to forge a partnership on the way forward in curbing the recent surge in SGBV crime in the state.
The Commandant welcomed the joint female professional team warmly and assured us of the willingness of their security outfit in joining hands with all in ensuring that lives are protected in the state.
*MWAN BAYELSA COVID-19 ACTIVITIES*
- Sensitization talks on various radio and TV stations on awareness and the need for hand washing, stressing the correct method
- Members volunteering in the state’s public health Emergency operations centre
- Advocacy visits to the Governor and wife on making members and the various professional health bodies part of the state task force and the need for more PPEs in all the State hospitals.
- Working closely with the NDUTH infectious disease unit.
- Plan to partner with the NMA on simulation exercises for health workers.
- Collaboration with some NGOs on the awareness of COVID-19
- Sensitization in some churches on COVID-19 (before closure).
- MWAN BYS and the Nigerian police rescued a 13yrs old from the arms of a child trafficker.
- A neonate about to be sold was also rescued.
- The chapter through the president handled a case of adolescent on adolescent defilement on 24th May 2020.