ABIA STATE REPORT
President-Dr Odochi Ewurum
President-Elect- Dr Patricia Ejikem
Secretary-Dr Chizoba Achor
Assistant Secretary-Dr Lisa Eweputanna
Treasurer- Dr Ifeyinwa Chukwukwe
Financial Secretary- Dr Ngozi Ekeleme
Public Relation Officer- Dr Peace Amaraegbulam
Coordinator Young Doctors’s Forum-Dr Lilian Eke
Research and Grant Officer-Dr Martha Nwachukwu
Ex- Officio 1-Dr Chika Uche
Ex-Officio 2- Dr Iheoma Urukwu
UPDATES FROM THE SECRETARIAT
The MWAN Abia state 2019-2021 Biennium Executive members were sworn in on the 17th of February, 2020. Below are the activities we have carried out from February 2020 till date.
- BIENNIAL INAUGURATION AND INVESTITURE CEREMONY: The inauguration and investiture ceremony of the President, Dr Odochi Ewurum and the executive members took place on the 17th of February 2020. Dignitaries at the ceremony included the first Lady, Dcns. Mrs. Nkechi Victor Ikpeazu ably represented by wife of the Deputy Governor, Lady Vivian Ude Okochukwu. Others include Lady Constance Ukachi Amala the Honourable commissioner for women Affairs, the chairman of the occasion Prof Ogbonna Onuoha and many medical elders.
- COURTESY VISITS: We went for a courtesy visit to the Medical Director Federal Medical Centre Umuahia, Director General Radio Nigeria Pacesetter FM and Director General Broadcasting Cooperation of Abia State.
- WORLD GLAUCOMA WEEK: MWAN Abia state marked the world glaucoma week by giving a health talk/ sensitization on radio. The talk was given by Dr Mrs Ifeyinwa Chukwukwe at Radio Nigeria Pacesetters FM Umuahia.
- WORLD TB DAY: This was also marked with a talk given by Dr Mrs Glory Nkwo at Radio Nigeria Pacesetter FM Umuahia.
- WORLD KIDNEY DAY: This took place on the 12th of March 2020. MWAN Abia State in collaboration with the International Society of Nigerian Nephrologist and the Nephrology units at the Federal Medical Centre Umuahia ( Internal Medicine and Pediatric Nephrology) had a road walk to mark the day. Health talk was also given by Dr Mrs Chikaodili Ibeneme at the general and pediatric outpatient departments in the hospital.
- COVID-19 AWARENES: Dr Mrs Peace Amaraegbulam discussed on covid-19 and its preventive measures at BCA radio Umuahia, Dr Mrs Chizoba Achor gave a Radio talk on the Psychological aspect of COVID-19 lock down on the citizens, its effect and possible solutions at Radio Nigeria Pacesetter FM Umuahia and Dr Mrs Odochi Ewurum gave a talk on children’s day celebration during the COVID-19 lockdown advice to parents, also on Radio Nigeria Pacesetter FM.
- COLLABORATIONS: MWAN Abia is collaborating with the following ;
Ministry of Women Affairs
International Federation of Women Lawyers
Broadcasting Cooperation of Abia State
Radio Nigeria Pacesetter FM
- MEETINGS: We have held the following meetings;
Executive meetings- 3
Extended exco meetings -1
Elders’ forum meetings- 1
State general meetings – 1